How many times have you looked at a pair of jeans that looked so flattering on the hanger, only to find them tragically unflattering on your person?
Frankly, it’s my life story.
The only thing I find more soul crushing than bathing suit shopping is jeans shopping. You see, jeans aren’t one-size-fits all; denim designers have a specific body type when it comes to your dungarees. And it’s pretty safe to say I’ve tried them all.
After finding myself in a denim puddle on the dressing room floor more than once, I finally got smart and figured out the tricks to accentuate the body I have (rather than insisting on squeezing into that super cute pair just because they look amazing on Taylor Swift.) That meant swapping out the low rise for mid rise, sticking to solid washes and, yes, getting them all hemmed.
Want to avoid future denim disaster? Check out this guide to my favorite jeans for every body type, thanks, in no small part, to some major guidance from my favorite denim designers, Mother, 7 For All Mankind, DL1961, DSTLD MIH and Beija Flor.
Here are some things to remember when shopping for denim?
- Hate your tummy? Stick to a midrise
- Hourglass figure? You’ll look fab in bells. Choose boot cut over skinnies for balance.
- Curvy? Stick to a solid colored, slim or tapered jeans.
- Full hips and thighs? Look for a high rise and a tapered waist.
- Straight up and down? You can get away with anything but stay away from curved waists.
- Tall? Whiskering and faded washes help to break up height.
- Petite? Look for shorter lengths (duh) and look to boyfriend jeans which give the illusion of curves.
- Athletic? Keep it slim fit but stick to a tapered leg rather than a skinny.
Click on any of the jeans that fit your body type and check out my picks.
Got a favorite jean you think I should know about? Tell me about it in the comments.